- The Emerging Writers Festival is offering a 6 month Digital Mentorship for aspiring bloggers and digital content creators. Applications close 16 December
- HarperCollins has launched an electronic imprint dedicated to young adult short stories and novellas
EDITOR AND AGENT INTERVIEWS
- Publishing Perspectives has an interview with YA Publisher Dan Weiss about Publishing for Gen Y and “New Adult” Literature
- Dear Author interviews Kate Cuthbert, the editor of Harelquin Australia’s recently launched Escape fiction line
- The Australian Literature Review has an interview with Tara Wynne, agent with Curtis Brown
- Esquire has a great article about why we’re in a golden age for writers
- The omnivoracious blog and how to talk about your book
- Angela Slatter looks at what not to do when you’re an aspiring author
UNDERSTANDING THE INDUSTRY
- Diana Peterfreund on The Competition and literary friendships
- Yuka Igarashi (via the Granta blog) on the perils of being a copy-editor
- Ryan O’Neil on the pleasures of linked short-story collections
- K. A. Mitchell asks what should a romance writer look like?
- Writers Beware has some commentary on Archway Publishing, Simon and Schuster’s new self-publishing imprint
- Charlie Jane Anders discusses How to Know if the First Draft of Your Novel Just Isn’t Worth Salvaging
- Kylie Scott has some advice on How Not To Write a Sex Scene in 10 Simple Steps
- Amie Kaufman offers Three Ways To Improve Your Critique Using Conflict Communication
- James J. Parsons discusses How to Be (in)Visible
- Dan Blank asks Do You Cringe When Authors Market Their Books?
- Porter Anderson on social media and author narcissism (via Writer Unboxed)
- Jane Friedman looks at 10 Ways To Build Long-Lasting Traffic To Your Author Website
- Jonathan Snook on selling a book via his website versus selling it via Amazon
And that’s the fry-up for this week. As always, we’re interested in hearing about any links we may have missed in the comments, and we hope you have a great weekend of writing ahead of you.