writing race iconAWMonline Writing Race FAQs

The Australian Writer’s Marketplace online holds regular writing races on the AWMonline Facebook page to support and encourage writers.

What is a Writing Race?

A Writing Race is a self-directed, one-hour writing session done in the company of online peers as part of a Facebook event. The Races are convened by a Race Captain and moderated by AWM staff. Captains are sometimes Special Guests – successful writers or industry professionals who share their experience and encouragement.

Who can join in?

Anyone can join in the Writing Races. Writing Races are attended by beginner, emerging and established authors. This gives beginner and emerging writers the opportunity to write in the company of leading industry professionals, and provides published authors with support and encouragement to meet their contractual deadlines.

How do I participate?

Each week a Writing Race event page will be created on the AWMonline Facebook page.

To find us: search ‘The Australian Writer’s Marketplace online’ in the Facebook search panel. ‘Like’ our page to receive updates from AWMonline including announcements about weekly Writing Races and the Special Guest appearances.

Each week you a Writing Race Event will be created on the AWMonline Facebook page. Click ‘join’ to become part of the event. On the night of the event Racers will gather at the Facebook Writing Race Event page and conversation will take place in the comment stream.

We start to gather about 15 minutes before the Writing Race begins. Tell us what you hope to achieve in your hour of writing and when then starting pistol sounds – get writing! After an hour finish up and let us know how you went.

Do I have to show my writing to everyone?

No, you do your writing in your own private document, just as you always do. The Race Captain will only ask about your word count (or other goals) you achieved during the race. Some Racers like to share their favourite snippet at the end of the race. Racers are all very supportive of each other’s work.

Do I have to be really fast?

No, you can write at your own pace. You might choose to do some research, scene planning, or editing instead of writing. We are there to have fun and honour our craft by finding the time to write. Most Racers are pleasantly surprised at how productive they are during a Writing Race.

Who organises the Writing Races?

The Writing Races are organised by Queensland Writers Centre, a not-for-profit organisation that publishes The Australian Writer’s Marketplace and AWMonline as part of our commitment to providing resources and opportunities for writers.

For more information about AWMonline Writing Races, follow us on Twitter @AWMonline or like our Facebook page The Australian Writer’s Marketplace Online. Inquiries please contact [email protected].