- Writers Victoria is taking applicants for the Hazel Rowley Literary Fellowship, which will award $10,000 to an Australian writer to support the writing and research of a new biography. Details are available on their website
- SA Writer’s Centre are looking for a writer in residence for early 2013
- Brain Pickings has some great posts on the Daily Routines of Famous Writers and Joan Didion’s notebook habits.
- The Judges Report for the Overland Victoria University Short Story Prize contains some great feedback on the types of submissions the competition received in addition to the strengths of the winners.
- Inkpunks has a great primer of Writing About Fighting
INDUSTRY NEWS & COMMENTARY
- Bryce Courtnay has lost his battle with stomach cancer
- Hot on the heels of the Penguin-Random House merger, there’s reports that Simon and Schuster is in talks with Harper Collins
- The Tolkien Estate is suing Warner Brothers, the company behind the forthcoming Hobbit adaptation, claiming the company is overstepping its rights when it comes to merchandising the film (the article is particularly interesting because the crux of the lawsuit seems to revolve around digital rights management)
- Joel Naoum of Momentum Books looks at The Business of Storytelling in a Digital World
- The Creative Penn on building an email list for writers and authors
And that’s the fry-up for this week. As always, we’re interested in hearing about any links we may have missed in the comments, and we hope you have a great weekend of writing ahead of you.